Following our last episode of Tips and Tricks for League of Legends, we’re continuing to other games. Indeed, it only makes sense to move on to the other first-tier MOBA – Dota 2. While some attributes are similar, there’s definitely a difference. Here are our Dota 2 Tips and Tricks!
Like League of Legends, mechanical skills for our Dota 2 Tips and Tricks will focus on similar aspects. Players will need to mechanically learn how to coordinate an immense number of precise clicks together with abilities bound to keys.
Again, at the highest level, continuous movement is a necessity to maximize damage at safe ranges. While we highlighted the idea of kiting for League of Legends, for Dota 2, the concept of orb walking comes into play. What is it?
Orb walking is where players cancel may cancel their auto-attack move animation roughly midway through it by activating another attack. In the entire scope of Dota 2, this changes everything. Melee characters can cancel moves right after making contact to keep up the pressure instead of reeling through the entire animation.
Likewise, this applies to ranged attacks too, allowing you to close in the distance or run away when needed better. Orb walking is an essential mechanical skill for Dota 2.
Here are some other mechanical skills you might want to work on too:
- Shift-queuing actions – the correct sequence for any event
- Utilizing spell combos at the right timing – for yourself or teammates
In-Game Knowledge and Awareness
Moving on to in-game knowledge and awareness, like any other MOBA, there’s a tonne to understand and master here. Indeed, this section dwarfs the mechanical skills, and we’ll be diving right into it. Here are our tips for managing all the knowledge in Dota 2:
- Knowing the information of champions – teammates, lane and general opponents at all times especially when the meta changes
- Building your own pool of champions – in order to climb ranks, it’s pivotal to be able to adapt to every situation with a calculated choice of champion and powerspike knowledge too
- Knowing when to farm, gank, save teammates or to simply retreat
- Understanding the ideas of jungle stacking/camp blocking – sometimes the slow game pays off
- Making the most of runes – runes are exceptionally painful and can change the game incredibly
- If you’re in the lead, push your opponent. Late-game comebacks are very possible in Dota 2 and will leave you awake at night
- While investing in cheap items is great in the beginning, move on to better ones before its too late
- Understand when to farm or to attack – you can get much more gold for kills compared to farming, with the associated risk in mind
- Utilize the infamous Town Portal Scroll – every hero spawns in with 3 at the start of the game so don’t be shy to utilize it when necessary.
- Use your gold carefully – know when to invest in items and which items are worth paying Buyback for too.
- Master your dedicated lane while also experimenting when you can
Personal and Interpersonal – Dota 2 Tips and Tricks
Probably the most overlooked section of our Dota 2 Tips and Tricks would be here. However, at esportsguide we understand that esports is heavily influenced by external factors – such as player mentality between teammates and the opposition too. Here are a few:
- Being able to relay information and to agree on a strategy with your team – whether they’re randoms or teammates
- Calling out and reading an opponent’s play
- Constantly scanning for unaccounted enemy players with your team – flanks can be deadly
- Remain cool, calm and collected no matter how dire the situation seems
- Have pre-game warm-ups followed by post-games analysis or discussions – learn from your losses and know how exactly you were beaten.
- As always, monitor the esports scene for new strategies or metas.